get a passport at MCDL

MCDL is currently not processing Passports

Passport and photo services are available on a first-come first-serve basis at Medina, Brunswick and Lodi Libraries.

Medina and Brunswick Libraries:
Monday -Thursday: 9:00 am - 7:30 pm
Friday: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Saturday: 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Sunday (September - May): 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm

Lodi Library:
Monday -Thursday: 10:00 am - 7:00 pm
Friday-Saturday: 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Sunday: closed

Passport services are available until one (1) hour before closing.

Find passport application details at the National Passport Information Center (1-877-487-2778).

Apply for a Passport

If this is your first passport, you will need to apply in person. If you are renewing an expired adult passport issued within the last 15 years, you may apply by mail.

When applying for a passport in person, you need to submit:

  • A completed application for passport (available at the library and other passport application agencies)
    • To save time, complete the application online, print, bring to library.
    • Do not sign this application before visiting the library or other agency.
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship which may be a previous U.S. passport, certified birth certificate, or Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization. No photocopies will be accepted. Documents will be returned with your issued passport. If you do not have a certified copy of your birth certificate, contact the agency which holds your birth record. Other records that may be submitted for consideration are baptismal certificates, early census records, family bible records, newspaper files regarding the birth, and affidavits from relatives or medical personnel who attended the birth. Full information on documents for proof of citizenship is posted on the Department of State passport page.
  • Current proof of identity which may be established with a previous U.S. passport or a current valid driver’s license, military I.D. card, or State I.D. card. Full information on proof of identity is posted on the Department of State passport page.
  • One passport photo.

Passport Fees

Two passport payments are required for a new passport (plus cost of passport photos):

  1. Passport fee, payable by check or money order only to U.S. Department of State
        $110.00 for an adult passport, valid for 10 years
        $80.00 for a child’s (under 16) passport, valid for 5 years
    An Expedite fee (four-week service) is available for an additional $60.00.
  2. Execution fee, payable by cash, credit card, check, or money order to Medina County District Library
      $35.00 execution fee for each new passport
      (no execution fee is required for a renewal application).

Complete Passport Service Pricing

By law, the execution fee is non-refundable (22 CFR 51.65).

Please verify your social security number before you come in; you do not need to bring in your social security card.

The U.S. Department of State has the sole responsibility for examining applications and issuing passports.


Passport Cards

Travelers can now apply for a Passport Card. The Passport Card can only be used for land and sea travel between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean.

Adult Passport Cards cost $30.00. Cards for children are $15.00. There is an additional $35.00 execution fee payable to Medina County District Library.

Additional information about applying for the new Passport Card is available on the U.S. Department of State website.

For example, if you had a passport and meet the renewal requirements above, you can (if you choose) apply for a passport card as a renewal by mail.

Renewing Your Current Passport

You can renew your Passport by mail if all these conditions apply to your current U.S. Passport:

  • it is undamaged and can be submitted with your application
  • it was issued when you were age 16 or older
  • it was issued within the last 15 years
  • it was issued in your current name (or your name change legal document is mailed in with your app.– see Frequently Asked Questions tab above)

The Passport Renewal Form DS-82 is available online, so you can complete the mail-in renewal process yourself without going to any passport center.

However, Passport Centers (including our libraries) do have the renewal form [DS-82] available for your convenience. Since a current passport photo is required, you can pick up a form and also have your photo taken at the library for the same $15 fee mentioned above.

For more efficient delivery of your passport renewal, you are encouraged to mail in the completed application, photos, and current passport fee yourself. The State Department renewal processing center is at a different location from the new passport processing center and if your renewal were to be mailed with new applications it would be delayed; for your benefit, the library cannot mail renewal applications on your behalf.

Additional information about Passport Renewals

If any of the renewal conditions shown above are not met, you must follow the instructions for applying for the first time, in person.

Passport Photo

One passport photo is required. It must be

  • whole-face view taken within the last 6 months
  • 2" × 2" in size
  • against a light background
  • No hats or head-covering should be worn.

Vending machine photos are not acceptable. More details on Photo Requirements are located on the U.S. Department of State website. Passport photo services are available at Medina, Brunswick and Lodi branches providing passport services for $15.00, payable by cash, credit card, check, or money order to Medina County District Library.

Frequently Asked Questions

How long does it take to receive my passport?

Routine application processing takes 6–8 weeks. The Library can also provide expedited service, for an additional $60.00 fee, which reduces the processing time to as little as 4 weeks.


Where can I get a copy of my birth certificate?

Born in one of the following cities? Obtain a certified copy of your birth record from that city:

Medina County Heath Department
4800 Ledgewood Dr.

165 Center Rd.

601 Lakeside Av.

East Cleveland
14340 Euclid Ave.

585 E.222 St.

12805 Detroit Rd.

Maple Hts.
5353 Lee Rd.

6611 Ridge Rd.

Rocky River
21012 Hilliard Blvd.

Shaker Hts.
3400 Lee Rd.

South Euclid
1349 S. Green Rd.

University Hts.
2300 Warrensville Center Rd.


If you do not see the city you were born in, please contact:
The City of Cleveland Department of Vital Statistics
601 Lakeside Avenue E, Cleveland, Ohio 44114

Or for births in other areas of Ohio, consult the local Health Department or contact the Ohio Office of Vital Statistics.

For obtaining birth certificates from other states, consult the Centers for Disease Control list of Where to Write for Vital Records.


What if my name has changed?

The name on your passport should match your evidence of identity and citizenship. To change your name on a passport or as a proof of identity, you must submit a marriage certificate, or a certified copy of the court decree substantiating the change.

To have a replacement passport issued, submit this document with a completed Form DS-5504, following the Department of State instructions on the document.

If more than one year since the date of issue has passed, you must submit Form DS-82 (or Form DS-11, if appropriate) and pay the applicable fees.


Can I get a passport for my child?

For all children under age 16:

  • Children must accompany you to apply for a passport.
  • All applications for children under 16 require both parents’ or legal guardians’ consent.
  • Birth certificates must be submitted for all children showing parental relationship (even if the child has had a previous passport).

For all children age 16 to 17:

  • The minor must appear in person.

For security reasons, parental consent is required. Consent may be implied by a parent’s signature on the fee payment check; in some cases, an affidavit of consent may be requested.

If your child does not have identification of his/her own, you need to accompany your child, present identification and co-sign the application.


I have an expired passport. Can I renew it by mail?

If the passport is an adult passport, is not damaged, was issued within the last 15 years and was issued in the same name (or the name change can be documented), you can renew it by mail.


How can I get a replacement for a lost or stolen passport?

To replace a lost or stolen passport, complete Form DS-11 and Form DS-64, following the respective Department of State instructions.


Where can I get information about the status of my application?

Check the status or your passport on the U.S. Department of State website.


I have a family emergency and need a passport immediately. What can I do?

Contact the National Passport Information Center and the staff there will advise you.
There is no charge for this call.


What if the name on my passport doesn’t match the name in which I’ve purchased my airline tickets?

Airlines strongly encourage you to buy tickets with the exact name listed on your passport.

If you have purchased international flight tickets, be sure the name you use on your passport application will match the name on your airline tickets.

To change your name on a passport or as a proof of identity, you must submit a marriage certificate, or certified copy of the court decree substantiating the change.

To have a replacement passport issued, submit this document with a completed Form DS-5504, following the Department of State instructions.



Passport application acceptance agencies do not handle visas. A visa is an endorsement or stamp placed by officials of a foreign country on a U.S. passport that allows the bearer to visit that foreign country. Foreign entry requirements vary by country.

Visas are obtained through consular offices. Some travel agents handle visa requirements.


Travel to Caribbean, Bermuda, Canada or Mexico

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) will require all travelers to and from the Americas, the Caribbean, and Bermuda to have a passport or other accepted document that establishes the bearer’s identity and nationality to enter or re-enter the United States.

See Department of State for more on visas and foreign entry requirements. Those traveling by land or sea can use the new Passport Card.


Source URL: